Does God hate people or love them?
John 3:16; Romans 5:8; 1 John 4:7-8
and Psalm 5:5; 11:5; Proverbs 6:16-19; Hosea 9:15
- God loves
- (John 3:16) – “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.”
- (Rom. 5:8) – “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
- (1 John 4:7-8,16)- “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love…16God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God… “
- God hates
- (Psalm 5:5) – “The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity.”
- (Psalm 11:5) – “The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, And the one who loves violence His soul hates.”
- (Proverbs 6:16-19) – “There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, 19A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers.”
- (Hosea 9:15) – “All their evil is at Gilgal; indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels.”
God both loves and hates. His nature is love (1 John 4:8), but He is also righteous (Psalm 7:9) and holy (Isaiah 6:3). The very fact that He does not incinerate all of humanity for its sin against Him is due to his loving kindness. God doesn’t owe anyone anything. We are sinners and as such, we have offended Him because we have broken His laws — and His laws are a reflection of His character. But, God in His great mercy, sent His Son to die for our sins so that we might have eternal life by receiving Christ as Savior (John 1:12; Rom. 10:9-10).
Does God hate? Yes. Does God love? Yes. This is not a contradiction. This is simply the truth.
“Basic Christian Doctrine” by Matthew Slick, http://www.carm.org/basicdoc.htm.