In a society where promiscuity is so prevalent, the need for sexual purity is all the more important and urgent. There are many underlying issues related to this subject. Some people are searching for love, acceptance, attention and approval. Some are confusing love with sex, and thinking that what is socially acceptable, is also morally right. As a result, many are living in sin and with its consequences – fear, guilt and bondage. In this brief article, I shall attempt to bring forth God’s perspective, His protective measures, and His maintenance provision for sexual purity. God’s Perspective Although man has been recently acting as if he discovered sex the way Columbus discovered America, it was God Himself who originally designed and first introduced the subject of sex. And He did this from the very beginning: “The LORD God formed man of the dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being ... The LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man and he slept; then He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh at that place. And the LORD God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man” (Gen. 2:7,21-22 NASB). God first established the sexual relationship between Adam and Eve – between a man and a woman. Therefore, God’s perspective on sex is that He designed it to be enjoyed in the marital relationship for three reasons:
- For the procreation of children – “And God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply’” (Gen. 1:28).
- For the purpose of unity – “For this cause a man … shall cleave to his wife; and they shall become one flesh” (Gen. 2:24).
- For the perpetual enjoyment of the relationship – “Rejoice in the wife of your youth … Let her breasts satisfy you at all times; be exhilarated always with her love” (Prov. 5:18-19).
In the new Testament we read that “Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge” (Heb. 13:4).
God’s Protective Measures
In times like we are living in today, many people are being deceived by the wide-spread erroneous message of so-called “safe sex.” There is no such thing as safe sex outside of the marital relationship. God’s protective measure for singles is pure and simple: abstinence until marriage. For those who are married, God’s protective measure is safe and sound: remain faithful to each other.
There are many opinions on the subject of sexual purity in the world today, but what God has to say is far more important, because His Word is truth (Jn. 17:17). Read carefully these four instructions:
- “Abstain from … fornication; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well” (Acts 15:29). Here abstinence is connected directly to our well-being.
- “For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality” (1 Th. 4:3). Here abstinence is connected directly to our sanctification, or our standing before God.
- “Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body” (1 Cor. 6:18). Here sexual impurity is connected to physical harm such as sexually transmitted diseases.
- “Consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire and greed which amounts to idolatry“ (Col. 3:5). Here sexual impurity is connected to other sins, especially idolatry, or the worship of the false god of sex.
God’s Maintenance Provision
There are many serious consequences for sexual activity outside of marriage including: severe guilt; depression; illegitimate pregnancy; murder of the unborn; sexuallytransmitted, life-threatening diseases; continuous emotional pain; deep regrets; horrible memories; worse sins; damaged, maybe even destroyed relationships; and death.
By ourselves, and even with the best intention, we are unable to remain pure. But God has provided the Lord Jesus Christ who died for us, the Holy Spirit who indwells us, His Word which guides us, and Christian fellowship which helps us. While there are many dangers in sexual impurity, there is only one way to be sexually pure today, and that is to trust and obey God’s Word regarding sexual purity.
God’s Sure Help: A Personal Note
Are you feeling helpless and hopeless about the sexual sins you have already committed? There is hope for you. Here are eight suggestions to help you develop and maintain sexual purity:
- Stop denying your sins and confess them to the Lord (1 Jn. 1:7-9).
- Stop obsessive sexual thoughts, and purpose in your heart to keep your thoughts clean and honoring to God.
- Realize that overcoming sexual temptation requires momentby- moment watchfulness.
- Pray daily for God’s help to overcome sexual sin.
- Obey the Scriptures through the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Identify those things which lead you into sexual impurity, and stay away from them.
- Set strong but achievable boundaries to keep you from sexual sin.
- Seek Christian counseling or an accountability partner to help you.
With God’s help you can remain sexually pure, even in a polluted world.
By Emanuel V. John
With permission to publish by: Sam Hadley, Grace & Truth, 210 Chestnut St., Danville, IL., USA. Website: www.gtpress.org